Precision injection molding uses the latest technology in plastic injection molding. Due to the sophisticated manufacturing process, it is the most expensive method of injection molding. This type of plastic injection molding method requires precision mold and machines.
Usually, most plastic injection molding companies do not use precision injection molding in manufacturing an entire product. However, it is used for small and infrequent manufacturing where the product development needs a precise form of plastic injection molding. The machine for precision molding should be high pressure to ensure the plastic parts best quality and overall precision.
This process is highly technical and differs from the conventional injection molding techniques. Also, the process is necessary for making precision plastic parts with complicated geometries that are excellent for replacing high-precision metal parts used for industrial purposes.
Factors that affect the precision of the mold
The precision of the mold is determined by the following factors
●The mold cavity size
●Choice of materials
●The precision of parting surface
●Dimensional tolerance rate of the entire precision molds
●Number of cavities in the mold design
●The bottom plate, supporting plate, and cavity wall thickness
●Accurate position of the cavity
●The precision of parting surface
How does precision molding work
Many industries are looking for more sophisticated plastic shapes to serve various sectors like health, automobile, pharmaceutical, etc. The process of molding plastics in different complex shapes by CNC machining is known as polymer optics. The aim of precision molding is to produce plastic parts with tight dimensional tolerances.
Benefits of precision injection molding
1. One of the advantages of precision molding is that it is economically viable. This enhanced process prevents issues that occur in the contract and manufacturing of technical products.
2. The precision molding process can meet the precision required in developing high-precision products. And also allows the producers to customize the process to meet the needs of the molding product.
3. Products manufactured using precision injection molding are reasonably priced considering the high-quality control and precision.
4. The polymer optic in precision injection molding is key to developing high-precision molds. It also presents the possibility of creating unique plastic edges.
5. Before precision injection molding, products had to be manufactured by molding consultants manually. Now, large production of plastic products is manufactured with precision at a reasonably priced rate.
6. Products manufactured with precision injection molding have low weight.
7. This makes the products superior to other products manufactured with other methods of molding.
8. The precision injection molding process does not require any additional steps and can be completed in one step. This means lesser time is spent developing the product.
9. This process is suitable for the mass production of molding materials regardless of the shape or design of the product.
10. Sometimes, glass and precision optics through polymer are combined to improve a product’s precision building. It also allows high monitoring and quality control within an affordable range.
Precision Injection Molding Tips and Tricks
As mentioned before, precision molding is not done on the entire product but only the portion where scientific molding is required. So, precision molding is used when a product requires tight tolerance. This means the requirement of the product has to be followed accurately to prevent the project from breaking in the injection molder.
It could be potentially dangerous if a part of the machine breaks while the CNC is still moving. These tolerances are achieved through injection molding, but precision custom injection molding is a better solution when developing these products. Molding consultants need to understand the precision requirements for the products to avoid wasting money on the wrong segment.
The running cost for developing the entire product in an injection molder through precision molding will be high. The best option is to inquire which part of the product requires precision molding and use precision molding accordingly.
Firstly, the product is developed through insert molding. After that, the parts requiring precision molding are molded accordingly.
Usually, the process of precision molding can cause shrinkage in plastics. The entire product can be ruined if the material has a high shrinkage capacity. For instance, a common plastic polymer, polyethylene, has a high shrinkage range and is not ideal for precision molding. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) is a decent replacement for polyethylene.
ABS can retain its elasticity in high temperatures with a reduced shrinkage of =/-.006. Although it is not the best material for precision injection molding, which requires a shrinkage of +/-002.
Glass or another resin is mixed with the plastic to achieve shrinkage capacity. This external material helps to absorb excess heat and keep the plastic in place, thereby reducing shrinkage.
It should be noted that adding this material does not mean the product will not experience shrinkage. The product will shrink according to the induced resin. An injection pressure of about 392MP reduces the shrinkage factor to zero.
When the correct technique is used in precision molding, every piece of the product is developed identically. A product needs to be identical to the precision mold for accuracy.
The precision molding process requires time and focus. You need to find an injection molding company specializing in the precision molding process to get the best result.
Selecting the areas within the mold that require precision
Due to its sophistication, this method is more expensive. Consequently, it’s vital to understand which parts of your custom plastics require high tolerances.
It is also crucial to understand if the tolerances can be managed through conventional molding techniques. A plastic part may require both the conventional and precision process. On the other hand, an electrical part may require precision works for a small part of the product and not the whole part.
Choosing the best mold manufacturer
Finally, to create quality molded products, you need to find the best precision molding company with high precision molds and tools. This is the most significant factor for developing precision molded parts with tight tolerance and identical products.
A company that understands the process entirely and specializes in high-precision tooling can manufacture your product with precision. We have the best team to manufacture your products. Call us now for a quote.